Monday, May 7, 2018

MRKH Conference


Here’s the thing… Since I was 16, I’ve known that I am different than most women. I like to talk about poop and farts, I like beer, chicken wings, football and I really like to burp.  Just kidding (kinda, but not really). I’ve known I am different because I cant join in the following conversations with other women:
1)      Do you have a tampon?
2)      Are you worried about getting pregnant?
3)      Does your uterus hurt? (ok, so maybe I’ve never actually heard anyone ask another woman this, I just assume this is something they say)

But although I am different, I’ve never felt not supported, loved or cared for. If anything, I have felt more of those things than most people. So, I never really thought I needed to meet other woman with MRKH for support. BOY WAS I WRONG!

Last month, I had the opportunity to go to Michigan to an MRKH conference, and I still haven’t quite figured out the right words to describe my time there.  Was it awkward? 100% YES!  The word vagina was said 57 times in 1 hour!  I knew one person. That was it.  So, I had a few glasses of beer to get to know some people better, and that helped. The conference was super informative! The University of Michigan’s research team did an outstanding job of presenting the most recent MRKH information (and obvious shout out to the Beautiful You team). This was great. But I think the thing that was most impactful to me, was meeting other woman who ar
e like me. They were all ages! I could see myself in each and every one of them. They lived normal lives. They had inappropriate humor. They liked to drink. They were skinny, chubby, tall, short… Normal looking woman from the outside, but on the inside they are the only ones who truly understand the daily struggle of someone who has MRKH. This was not something I knew I needed. Why do I care so much if someone understands me? I actually don’t know the answer to that. So, I guess, if I had to come up with a way to describe my experience to Michigan for the MRKH conference, it would simply be – Life Changing.

Side note:  This condition may seem rare… But it is not THAT rare.  It effect 1-4,500 women. And if I am doing my math correctly, that means there are maybe 8 woman in my medium sized town of about 77,000 people who have MRKH. When a woman is first diagnosed with MRKH, it is scary. Doctors don’t know what it is, parents don’t know, and certainly friends and family don’t know.  The more we talk about it, the more normal it can become, and the less alone these woman will feel. Talk about it.

6 comments:

  1. I am a 27 year MRKHer (not 27 years old, rather 27 years of knowing I have it) and a massive grammar nerd. I saw your note about not being a provessional author, so please forgive typos, etc. In my opinion, which you have not asked for, you don't need to ask for that forgiveness because your writing is heartfelt, great and typo-free. More importantly, your writing and you are so brave. Thank you for touching my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m Appolonia I am 25 and I known I had this condition for almost 7-8 yrs I was devastated when I found out I had MRKH that I couldn’t have kids and all I wanted was to be able to at least only have one or two of my own I did felt left out of those conversations with other girls I didn’t feel right when my little sisters got there’s I didn’t understand and it hurts to have this knowledge I cry most of the time even with guys treating me different and not going as plan or as well as I wanted them to I don’t understand MRKH like that I haven’t been to no group where I can learn more and what I can do to help me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi
    I have a daughter of 10 years as while doing her ultrasound doctor has a doubt that she could not see her uetrus so recommended us for MRI
    What if she detects with no uterus in her??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can I ask why she was getting an ultrasound in the first place? If they do not detect a uterus in her MRI, then she probably has MRKH, that is how I found out. It will be ok either way. The MRKH community is so supportive and is growing everyday! If your daughter has MRKH, she will have people to talk to. Keep me posted, and good luck!

      Delete
  4. Hii.... I'm Adi ..
    I was 17 when I got to know that I have MRKH ... Now I'm 19yrs old ..
    The day when doctor told me that I have MRKH I was totally confused , I literally feel faded out from this world , I used to think that I'm not normal , that 2 yrs of my life was so hard, I feel like I'm no-one , 8 got to know that being rare and one in thousands is not easy .... But one day I saw your page ... I read it carefully and honestly my all curiosity goes out ... I still feel down for sometime but not like earlier......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! So glad I found your page. I'm 37 years old. Found out at 16 years old I didn't have a uterus! Didn't have a period and went to get on birth control and my doctor knew something wasn't right so they did an Mrs and saw I didn't have one. I had no idea there was a MRKH community!! I've been doing this alone and blind and really just going through life just knowing I have no uterus, I won't have babies. I just want to say thank you. You're amazing. Is there a facebook group community or anything like that?

    ReplyDelete