Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Save The Adoption Tax Credit

Why do I care about the adoption credit so much?  Because since I was 16 years old, I have been involved in a community of women who cannot carry their own children.  And although there are several ways we can still have children, adoption is a popular, yet expensive route.  Many families depend on this tax credit to HELP supplement the cost of adoption, but many children depend on it even more.  If this tax credit goes away, there will be so many families that will not be able to afford to adopt, which will mean more children will be left in our foster care system.  Isn’t it our responsibility to do what’s right for kids, and for their futures?  

When I was 16 years old, I found out I had MRKH.  I was lucky enough to have an amazing doctor who encouraged me to look on the bright side of things, and to look beyond the “why me”.  As soon as I left that doctors appointment, I knew I was put on this earth to make a difference, I left that appointment knowing that I not only wanted to adopt, but that was what I was meant to do.  I consider myself lucky that if this adoption credit goes away, I will still be able to adopt a child. I have an amazing family and support system who will make sure this happens, but not everyone is this lucky.


So, why do I care about the adoption credit so much? I care because I care about kids, I care about their futures and I care about making families complete. 

No comments:

Post a Comment